Sorry for the hiatus from blogging but happy to be back at it. So let's talk about this show shall we.
This 70's hippy chic Shakespearean musical is quite a joy. This is proving to be a high energy show that is brought to life with a fast paced score and quick scene transitions. We have completed the music and staging for all of Act I, the music for Act II and are set to begin blocking this week with slight delay due to the ice storm. In addition, we have learned two very fun dance numbers with Where's North falling a little short of the cardio requirements for the now infamous JUGGERNAUT. The choreography is filled with large fluid movements that makes it fun to do and interesting to watch. It's typical to not rehearse in the theater until load in but we continue to reference the very cool set that has been dreamt up by the very talented Todd Schaefer. The set is going to provide multiple levels/platforms that will add playful dimension to each scene and dance number. I actually can't wait to have this backdrop to work with and explore.
The show is about young/new love. I may have initially related the 'young' as the age of characters Proteus, Julia, Valentine & Sylvia but when I think about it there are similarities to how people of all ages experience that 'honeymoon period' of a new relationship regardless of age. I have always been fascinated by the nature of attraction. We all know people that end a less than desired relationship and swear to date the completely opposite type of person with the next go around to find themselves with the exact same type of person afterall. I haven't completely figured out what attracts these characters to eachother at various time throughout the show beyond the physical attraction and that may very well be it. How often has that been the case in our lives where the physicial attraction polarizes a majority of the draw towards another person. Comments I've actually heard throughout the years: 'she would be perfect for me if she lost 10lbs' or '...but he wears tennis shoes out' or 'not sure why I'm so in love, her face breaks out occassionally.' They sound a bit crazy but are all things I've heard throughout the years from others talking about a new or potentially new relationship. Seems shallow but asking for much more in the days of The Bachelor and Jersey Shore seems like a setup for disappointment.
Very excited about the journey ahead. Fun show and fun cast means a lot more to write about as this process continues.
Peace out!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment